6.19.2007

Prairie Land Destruction

A prairie dog colony killed off, most likely for land to graze cows.

A pile of buffalo skulls waiting to be ground into fertilizer-1870's

It's amazing how the human race possesses such great creative yet destructive powers.
The pictures are from a website dedicated to the restoration of a small bit of prairie land into a preserve. I Learned about some history and extinct animals I never knew about before.

"I was born upon the prairie where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where there were no enclosures and where everything drew a free breath. I want to die there and not within walls."

--Pawa-Wa-Samen (Ten Bears) of the Yamparika Comanches, Treaty Speech of 1872

link and images: Great Plains Restoration Council

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.